Search This Blog

Ciggie on FB!

Affiliate Program ”Get Money from your Website”

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Irreconcilable Differences


A term only slightly less shady than ‘Fraud’, ‘Irreconcilable Differences’ seems to be the most popularly cited reason for divorce in America. Though it is a blanket term, I would be quite happy to accept it –it if weren’t used for marriages that have lasted up to and past a decade. Within a month of solid dating, I am persuaded that each member of a couple knows quite well whether or not they are well-suited. Within three months, they’ve discovered every practically wrong with the other person, and this is a good make or break time. If the weaknesses in the other person’s habits, manners, morals, moods and general character have not frightened you off by this time, then it’s a pretty sure gamble that you will be able to weather and withstand 75 years with them. If you can handle each other in good times and bad? I say go for Marriage. This doesn’t mean, of course, that at this point you know everything about each other, nor that there aren’t bound to be unhappy surprises ahead; but I do believe that at this point, you know enough to know where your heart is at. If you’re ready to pledge allegiance to the particular crumbling house that is your partner, you’re good to go.

So, you DO go. And then, suddenly, ten years later, it’s no good? I don’t get that. It was announced on E this week that Grace (from Will & Grace) is divorcing from her husband of ten years, due to Irreconcilable Differences. I cannot imagine what those could be, (except perhaps that the man has decided to come out of a very dark and cobwebbed closet) and the sadness of the whole things is enough to make me feel like giving up RIGHT NOW. What’s the POINT?

Meanwhile, I’ve been ill, lately, something that hasn’t apparently just made ME crazy, but X as well. He wrote today to express his complete resentment at my recent silence, something which, being a girl, I naturally translated into ‘I love and am missing you,’ and which has kept me bobbing up and down (though with a slightly sickly feeling in my still queasy state) up on Cloud 12. I may have his babies yet... Please, please have mercy on me and do NOT send me any comments that might prick this bubble...

No comments: